Screencapture of the script
During May 2015 TheWriter.co.za had the opportunity to write a video script again. Scripts and screenplays are essentially writing in 3D or even 4D for that matter. Each sequence has to be accompanied by audio, video and sometimes onscreen text too. As you write the script you need to bear in mind all these other dimensions.
It’s just a wonderful challenge.
This most recent script was all about South Africa’s indigenous knoweldge systems and how important it is to record and secure this wisdom before it is forgotten.
Here are snippets from some of the scenes:
- The elders spoke of plants and medicines to treat the effects of illness. Stories were repeated until they became embodied in our traditional knowledge and activities. The stories found expression in our folklore, dances, songs, rituals, language and agricultural practices.
- But the oral nature of South Africa’s traditional wisdom means that its future is no longer assured. Many young people are moving to the cities. To add to this, threats such as misappropriation and misuse of traditional knowledge are a growing reality.
Hopefully when the final video becomes available, we will be able to share a link to it.
Online dictionaries and wikis
• reference.com • yourdictionary • wikipedia.org [free for all] • refdesk.com
• medialens [correcting the distorted vision of the corporate media] • alternet [independent media resource] • commondreams.org • newseum • alternet • www.journalism.co.za • newseum • reporters without borders • noam chomsky archives • noseweek • source watch and pr watch [keeping an eye on the spindoctors] • unknown news • storytelling in a post-journalism world
• new media lab @ rhodes • poynter • freedom of expression institute [fxi] • my alma mater [where I realised I had to be a dissident]
- You know what? just wing it, language should be flexible and in constant flux.
- But make sure you have a good editor to do the final check!
- New Zealand has agreed to allow txt or sms English in exam papers, as long as the student has comprehended the subject at hand.
• google maps • straatkaart • the planet • google earth [our glorious planet]
• SA images • space • tourism • thewriter.co.za: also provides photographic services
• dissident voice • alternative press index: lists radical zines • 09 F9 [assault on digital rights] • green anarchy
• contact us for a quote, our prices are the best in town [gotta love puns] • if it’s a good quote you’re looking for, we have access to those too motivational quotes, inspirational quotes, social justice quotes, enviro-quotes
• write with your heart not your head • In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act – George Orwell
generation alpha • right to know campaign [R2K] • Let the truth be told • the mask • apf • environmental justice • adbusters • abahlali basemjondolo
• why should I pay someone to write for me? I can do it myself!
• project gutenberg free books, where copyright has expired
Professional writers, social media marketers, web designers and communicators present professional material, which in turn commands the attention of potential clients.
Promotional material is the front door to your business, it should look and sound professional.
How much will it cost?
Professional writers, depending on their level of experience will charge anything from R350 to R550 an hour, but this will also vary depending on the type of writing required, be it technical writing, business writing, editing or script writing.
How long is a piece of string? It is extremely difficult to quote on a website. A comprehensive analysis must therefore be done for each individual site before quoting on it. A small business, launching a five page static website can look at paying R5 000 to get a small but professional site set up. The hourly rate for web design is approximately R650 an hour. Simple updates thereafter will cost around R300 an hour. A corporate entity wanting a website with databases, programming and perhaps an online marketing setup however, may pay R1 million or more.
thewriter.co.za is a comprehensive communication resource for people requiring the services of a professional communications team as we work in cooperation with other freelancers and marketing companies.